As an NGO, you can gain world recognition and representation at the United Nations by becoming associated with either one of the two branches which work with NGOs and members of civil society:
- The United Nations Department of Public Information (UN DPI). That’s us! We are a dynamic and growing community of more than 1,300 NGO organizations and your key resource of all UN-related information.
- The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) is more specialized. Learn more about ECOSOC.
Why associate with the UN Department of Public Information? If your NGO applies and gets accepted as an associate of UN DPI, you will:
Get noticed and make a difference
- Be globally known. Your organization’s profile will be added to our public directory.
- Be involved in advocacy efforts to help monitor and implement international agreements
Actively plan and participate
- Get grounds passes for activities or events organized by our office held at UN Headquarters in New York.
- Help plan and participate in the Annual UN DPI/NGO Conference
- Participate and contribute to the weekly Thursday NGO Briefings – at UN Headquarters in New York
Learn and network
- Get access to materials, activities and events which promote the work of the United Nations
- Gain access to the Dag Hammarskjöld Library at UN Headquarters in New York
- Exchange ideas between generations. We offer opportunities for experienced NGO leaders to work with youth representatives.
- Share expertise with other NGOs in different fields of work and from diverse backgrounds
- Use of the DPI / NGO Resource Centre at UN Headquarters in New York as a meeting space to network and lobby
We want to apply to be associated. What do we need?
NGOs must meet the following criteria:
- Support and respect the principles of the Charter of the United Nations
- Be a reputable NGO with national, regional or international standing
- Operate solely on a not-for-profit basis and have tax-exempt status
- Be an established NGO that has been registered and operating as a not-for-profit and taxt exempt organization for at least 2 years